February 15, 2011

Will you "beep,beep" my valentine?


Most of you know by now that I am one of "those" moms!

I like coordinating clothes for my kids on special holidays and for pictures.
I like going a little overboard with birthday parties.
I like scrapbooking for my kids to have special books memorializing their childhoods.
And...I like making cute little hand-made Valentines with them.

You may or may not remember Max's Valentine box from 2009. He came up with that idea all on his own and I was a little stumped on how to execute it, but after a visit to the Container Store and a local craft store...we made it happen. I let Max take the lead on it, therefore, doing most of the work. I handled the big stuff like using the exacto knife! He was so proud of his little yellow submarine. We still have it! In fact, this year, he asked if he could use it again this year, but I said that he should make something new.

So, last Friday, when I read his parent journal after school, he wrote in it that he wanted to make an AT-TE walker from Star Wars. I wasn't sure how I was going to come up with a structurally sound box balanced on for cardboard legs....so I asked if he wanted to make another character from Star Wars for his box (or pail in this case). He was super excited to go along with my idea. But, this is his box, so again I wanted him to take the lead on the decorating.

Once again, we went to the Container Store and craft store to gather al of the materials. He designed all of the parts using his Star Wars encyclopedia book as a visual guide. The only thing I did was the parts that required the glue gun and a saw.

Can you guess which character it is?


Now?


Voila! R2D2


3 comments:

jen@odbt said...

So cool! He did a great job! I've seen alot of creative valentine boxes this year - my friend's son made a minion from Despicable Me.

Anonymous said...

We love it- sorry we missed you guys last night -hope you have(Cate) and had (Max) a fun day at school parties. Love your creativity, Max and Allison too. Love, MiMi and PaPa
PS just found your cards in the car that I did not leave last weekend. Will send them on or bring them next time so you have them for the scrapbooks.

Lindsay said...

That's super impressive!!