August 19, 2009

First Day of Kindergarten

Well, the day finally arrived...my first born was off to Kindergarten. As many of you know from previous posts, I have been agonizing over this day. Each night after putting him to bed, I cry a little bit about how proud I am of him and how big and independent he is getting.

Last night was no different. As I labeled his uniforms and ironed each one, I cried. As I made his lunch (which I forgot he didn't need until late last night due to early release) and packed his backpack, I cried. As I woke early this morning to get showered and ready, I cried.

Then, while I was drying my hair, in walked Max, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed! He had the biggest grin on his face and he exclaimed, "Today is my first day of school!" Luckily, at that point, I didn't cry since I was just beaming with pride at his excitement.

We got ready and he had a good breakfast. Just before we walked out the door, I told him I needed some first day of school pictures.

I quickly dropped Cate off at our neighbors' house (where her little friend lives) and off we went to school. I did mention in the car that Mommy might cry, but that nothing was wrong...they were happy tears! Matt met us there. We got to walk him in on this first day (tomorrow begins regular carpool drop-off). He was so grown up and didn't want to hold our hands...tears were beginning to well up!


We walked into his classroom and were greeted by his teachers. He was the second child to arrive, so it was still pretty quiet in the room. Max found his cubby and hung up his backpack.


Then, his teacher told him to collect his supply box and begin the worksheet on the table. He went right to work cutting. I hugged him big and told him that I was VERY proud of him and knew he would have great year.....then the waterworks started. I stood up so I wouldn't upset him and Matt knelt down to hug him. Max then said to Matt, "I knew she would cry!" That lightened the mood and we blew kisses and stepped out.


Matt and I joined our friends and fellow parents for a welcome back coffee. Then, we headed to Kindergarten orientation. It was a somewhat lengthy meeting about school policies, uniform guidelines, carpool, lunchroom routine, volunteering for centers, and a word from the principal (who kindly reassured all of us that she had checked all the Kindergarten rooms and all was well).

That was it, he had begun his adventure. My baby was working and smiling and embarking on the time of his life!



For more Wordful Wednesdays, click on the button above.

10 comments:

Lexi said...

What a great milestone! I am proud of you for being strong for Max! It looks like he was super excited to be such a big boy and seems that the day was a great one.

Adventures in Parenthood said...

heck, i teared up just reading that, very sweet. Mine is not even 2yo and i am already dreading the school days! sounds like he is really happy and enjoying it though- what a big boy!!

Carla said...

Hmm. Well, if I can cry reading about Max's first day, what's going to happen on Monday (Audrey's first day)?? He looks so excited. I'm sure he's loving it!

Priscilla - The Wheelchair Mommy said...

Aww, what a handsome boy!! (and congrats!! - -i'm a little bit behind)

Such The Spot said...

Am I a total wimp if I admit I teared up too?

He looks so excited. He's going to have a great year! (And it'll get easier Mom, promise!).

jen@odbt said...

He looks so handsome. Love that his backpack is almost as big as he is. You did good momma. The moment between Max and your husband made me smile too.

Missy said...

Okay - why am I crying now?? I can't wait to meet all 22 of my kiddos on Friday.

Unknown said...

That is so sweet. I got through it without crying! I hope I can say the same for Monday morning! My crying is very unpredictable though. I didn't cry at my own wedding, but I cried at my brother's...with no warning! It's going to be hard sending my baby off to kindergarten....

Terra said...

This was a great post. Nice pictures and I could picture the whole scene! Congrats to your big boy.

Unknown said...

Ok, you even made me cry! Great pictures! I am not looking forward to next year!