October 14, 2009

You ate how many???

So, last Friday, in between dropping Max off at school and going to my MOMS (Mothers Offering Mothers Support) meeting at church, Cate and I were at home. I needed a cup of coffee and to catch up on some emails. Cate went into our room to watch a show on TV before we had to leave 30 minutes later for he meeting.

As I went back into our room to get her to leave for the meeting, she said, "Have one, Mommy!" She was holding a piece of gum up to me. I immediately thought, "where did she get gum?" Then, I saw it!!!!! At least 6 wrappers surrounding her on the bed. OH. MY. GOSH!!!! I quickly asked her if she had EATEN all those pieces of gum. She nodded very matter of factly (almost proudly)! Then, I saw the empty box. Keep in mind, I have no idea where she got it from or that we even had gum, so I had no idea how many were in the box before she started chomping away!

I immediately called the pediatrician. I knew that swallowing gum was not too detrimental, but 6, possibly more...what does that do to a little 2 year old's digestive system! The nurse promptly called me back. Actually, she was quite tickled. She said first off that it was a welcome distraction from all the calls for the flu! (Gee....glad I could make her day!) She told me that it will digest and that I probably wouldn't even know she had passed it. She cleared up the "Old Wives Tale" that gum digests just like everything else and doesn't stay in your stomach for 7 years!

Ok, moving on....tonight after bed, Max comes down after about 10 minutes and tells Matt that he got hungry (sidenote: he refused to eat the dinner we made, so he went without) and opened the new bottle of vitamins and ate some!

Some to Max equals 17!!!! We know that because I bought the new bottle yesterday and he still had a few in the old bottle, so we hadn't opened it yet. Matt counted them. There were supposed to be 50 and now all that was left was 33! I had no idea he could open the safety top, so never thought it was an issue to have them on his counter! BAD MOMMY {sound of slapping the wrist}

Again, we immediately called the after hours nurse number for his pediatrician who then told us to call Poison Control! They did assure us that since there is no iron in that particular brand of gummy vitamin, there is no cause for alarm. He may have an upset tummy or "concentrated and potent smelling urine". I can deal with that!

So, obviously this has been a pattern in my house this week! One that I do not care to repeat.

2 comments:

jen@odbt said...

Oh Allison - I have to laugh after knowing the kids are ok. It's good to know about the gummy vitamins, they looks like those fruit snacks...it's no wonder the kids think they can eat so many. PS: Was his urine a different color too?

Kristin said...

I remember when I was pregnant over one Christmas holiday, I ended up sleeping on the couch with a bottle of TUMS because I was so uncomfortable - I woke up to my then 1 year old having them as a snack... I had to call poison control to check - she was fine. Two days later, she 'snacked' on the toothpaste that was in her sister's stocking. I had to call again! Since they track the calls, I was afraid they were going to wonder what was going on at my house. It is funny after the fact once you know everyone is fine!