About 7 years ago, my parents started a tradition.
When I was pregnant with Max and they wanted to get him a special personalized gift. I suggested making a stuffed animal at Build-A-Bear. I knew that you could create your own sound to put in the animal. So, they decided on a bunny and recorded the sound that said, "We Love You, from Grandma and Grandpa Farr" so that when he would push the leg of the bunny, this would play. They also dressed him in a raincoat, rain hat, and galoshes. They named him Noah since Max's nursery was themed with Noah's Ark!
When we got pregnant with Cate, I decided to have Max make the stuffed animal this time and have him create the sound for his baby sister. What a great memento and gesture for him to do for her and also to have the sound of Max's little voice at that stage in his life. He made a pink poodle to match her "Poodles in Paris" nursery theme. We named her Fifi and he said "I love you, Baby Cate! I love you, Baby Cate!"
So, from the very start, I knew I wanted to continue that tradition with yet another stuffed animal for the new baby. Since we are doing his nursery in a monkey theme and the kids and Matt and I already refer to him fondly as "Monkey", it was just a given that they create a monkey for him. So, yesterday, we ventured out to Build-A-Bear. (I have been feeling a little better, so I have been trying to get out a little more...so since I felt good yesterday morning, I went, too). Right now, they have a promotion going on called Zoorrific which features animals from the jungle. Perfect timing, right! They chose the monkey and we went into their "sound studio" (aka the restroom) to record our saying. They each said I love you into the device. We then came out and began the stuffing/bathing/dressing process. They had a lot of fun with it. They each got a turn at pressing the pedal to stuff the monkey, each got a chance to "bathe" the monkey (actually just a stream of air to get off all the extra loose fluff and fur), then they picked out a safari outfit complete with hiking boots, a pith hat, map, binoculars, canteen, and fishing pole. After we dressed him, we headed over to the computer to make the birth certificate. We decided on the name "George" from Curious George.
The kids really enjoyed the experience and plan to bring George to the hospital with them once Monkey is born!
When I was pregnant with Max and they wanted to get him a special personalized gift. I suggested making a stuffed animal at Build-A-Bear. I knew that you could create your own sound to put in the animal. So, they decided on a bunny and recorded the sound that said, "We Love You, from Grandma and Grandpa Farr" so that when he would push the leg of the bunny, this would play. They also dressed him in a raincoat, rain hat, and galoshes. They named him Noah since Max's nursery was themed with Noah's Ark!
When we got pregnant with Cate, I decided to have Max make the stuffed animal this time and have him create the sound for his baby sister. What a great memento and gesture for him to do for her and also to have the sound of Max's little voice at that stage in his life. He made a pink poodle to match her "Poodles in Paris" nursery theme. We named her Fifi and he said "I love you, Baby Cate! I love you, Baby Cate!"
So, from the very start, I knew I wanted to continue that tradition with yet another stuffed animal for the new baby. Since we are doing his nursery in a monkey theme and the kids and Matt and I already refer to him fondly as "Monkey", it was just a given that they create a monkey for him. So, yesterday, we ventured out to Build-A-Bear. (I have been feeling a little better, so I have been trying to get out a little more...so since I felt good yesterday morning, I went, too). Right now, they have a promotion going on called Zoorrific which features animals from the jungle. Perfect timing, right! They chose the monkey and we went into their "sound studio" (aka the restroom) to record our saying. They each said I love you into the device. We then came out and began the stuffing/bathing/dressing process. They had a lot of fun with it. They each got a turn at pressing the pedal to stuff the monkey, each got a chance to "bathe" the monkey (actually just a stream of air to get off all the extra loose fluff and fur), then they picked out a safari outfit complete with hiking boots, a pith hat, map, binoculars, canteen, and fishing pole. After we dressed him, we headed over to the computer to make the birth certificate. We decided on the name "George" from Curious George.
The kids really enjoyed the experience and plan to bring George to the hospital with them once Monkey is born!













3 comments:
Such a fun tradition Allison - love it! And you look great, btw! Must have been so nice to get out of the house...
What a sweet, fun thing to do!
I agree - that is such a special tradition. That stuffed animal will be something they cherish forever. Glad you're feeling better to get out of the house.
Post a Comment