June 30, 2009

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

After our very busy and fun day in the sun, we continued our fun weekend by an afternoon musical! I took Max, his best friend, Matthew, and his mom, Kim to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at the Dallas Summer Musicals at Fair Park.

I have had season tickets to the Dallas Summer Musicals since I was a little girl and would go with Me-Maw. They took me each summer while I was visiting. Then, when I graduated and moved to Dallas, she and I continued to go. Each summer, they have about 8 shows beginning in the late spring and going until the Texas State Fair in September/October.

I have been waiting for him to be big enough to go and sit still and enjoy the show. I thought this would be the perfect show to start this tradition. Later this fall, during the Fair, is Mary Poppins. I can't wait to take him to that!

Anyway, we got to the theater with enough time to get him a souvenir program and rent a seat booster. These boosters are a big foam insert for the theater seats to make them a little taller so they can see better over the people in front of them. I was afraid they would run out of boosters, so we got there a little early. However, it worked out because we had a chance to get them the programs and take a bathroom break!

We walked into the theater and got to our seats. The boys were in awe of the size of the place. As the musicians began warming up, we took them down to the front to see them. Max is obsessed with the tuba. He says he wants to play one in the band...can you just picture my little string bean being weighed down by that big ol' horn! So, needless to say he was super excited to see that.

As the muscial began, we told them to be quiet and NO TALKING! Max took this a little to seriously as he would shush me when I would laugh out loud! They clapped furiously after each number! They really seemed to be into it.

Intermission came and I was hoping that Max was understanding the plot. Sure enough, he thought that the intermission meant it was over and he had great concern about what was going to happen to the grandpa in the story (the cliffhanger at intermission). We quickly explained to the boys that this was like a halftime during a soccer game or a long commercial break!

Once it started up again, the music began and Max was afraid it was starting all over again, but I explained it would start where it left off!

They loved the flying car and the cool inventions. By the end, we were clapping to the beat of the last song and singing along.

Max was a little tired after we exited the theater so he wasn't in the greatest mood for Mom to ask him to pose in front of the musical poster.

On the way home, they fell asleep on each others shoulders!

5 comments:

jen@odbt said...

What a great tradition to continue with your kids. Mary Poppins will be so fun in the fall. Love that they're both crashed out.

turnitupmom said...

I love the fact that your little guy wants to play the tuba. Well, you know how all of us Big Blue kids feel about band!!

2 Little Irish Boys said...

What a fun outing! It is so much fun to have a little variety in summer fun!!

Jennifer said...

Oh how fun! I would love to take my kids to see that show!! Love the sleeping pic!

Unknown said...

What a great adventure. Sound similar to mine on Saturday. Most have been the weekend for shows.