January 28, 2010

Beef Enchiladas

The other night, I took a trip down memory lane. My Pa-Paw was an amazing cook and he made the best beef enchiladas. His were a bit different than those you would find at your local Mexican cantina (or at least the ones I grew up around in rural TX). His are made with flour tortillas instead of the traditional corn tortillas.

They are very easy to make...just be forewarned that the clean-up is more of a task based on how many dishes you use to make them.

Here is the recipe and then pictures to illustrate the steps:

1 1/4 lb ground beef
1 onion chopped
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 can of chili (with or without beans, your choice)
8 oz of water
2 (8 oz) cans of tomato sauce (or one 15 oz can)
2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
10 small flour tortillas

Brown ground beef, onions, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder in a skillet.

Once browned, add chili, water, tomato sauce and cook until comes to a small boil.
Strain meat over a large bowl to save the chili liquid.
Grease your 9x13 casserole dish. Add the meat mixture to each tortilla and roll together and put seam side down in pan.

Once the tortillas are all filled, pour the chili sauce evenly over the tortillas.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese over the tortillas and bake an additional 5-10 minutes so that the cheese can get melted and bubbly over the tortillas.

Remove from oven and serve.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Terra said...

those look amazing. I think that is one you should double and freeze a batch for later (then you only have to clean up once!!!)

Julie said...

How is it that you gals can take such great pictures. Even your picture of canned foods looks professional. Those look delicious!! I may have to try those next week. =)

AJ Wolfe said...

These look gorgeous! I love the melty cheese on top!

jen@odbt said...

Yum - I'm craving mexican food for dinner.

Debbie said...

Sweet! I felt like I was reading a cooking blog! :)

Anonymous said...

Yum! look at you... all Pioneer Woman with the pictures...

Kathleen said...

My mouth is watering. Those look yummy and I will make them this weekend! I have my own recipe for Thrown Together Chicken Enchiladas, but I haven't found a meat recipe that is satisfying. Can't wait to try this one! Thanks for posting and sharing.