January 6, 2009

WordFUL Wednesday - Steel Magnolia

Today is my grandmother's funeral. Here is my tribute in two pictures along with my eulogy to her. Thank you to everyone who has offered their prayers and kind words to me during this difficult time.

Me and Me-Maw
Thanksgiving 1977

Me-Maw and Me
My Wedding Day April 2002

My Eulogy

Southern charm. Unending grace. Deep faith.
These are what describe Frances Eloise Lewis Roehrig best.
But, first she was an obedient daughter, born to Lester and Evelyn Lewis on October 16, 1920 in Houston, Mississippi.
She was a loving sister to Willard Lewis.
Faithful wife to Karl Roehrig.
Devoted mother to Francie, David, Rick, Randy and Linda.
Doting Me-maw to Allison, David, Karl, Kyle, Matt and Darcy.
Proud Great Grandmother to Max, Cate and Madison.
Loyal friend to hundreds.
But, most importantly, an ever faithful Christian.

Eloise was patient and kind and always generous to those in need. She walked for March of Dimes, volunteered in the school cafeteria when her children were adolescents, and offered her home to many friends who needed a place to stay for a couple of months.

She could play a mean game of bridge and absolutely loved crossword puzzles. Karl used to hand copy the morning paper’s puzzles, so they could each get a chance at working them.

She had a zeal for life and loved to dance. During the war, the young soldiers would line up to dance the jitterbug with her.

She was a fabulous cook of all things Southern and was a very gracious dinner and party hostess. We will all miss her Pea Casserole at Thanksgiving, fried chicken, buttered rice, leg of lamb, meatloaf, bountiful breakfasts with French Toast, and peanut brittle. And speaking of peanuts, she loved peanut butter. She ate it on toast, English muffins, and crackers. While on a cruise with Karl, she asked the steward in the dining room for peanut butter for her toast each morning and by the second or third day on the ship, he had it on the table waiting for them with her name on the jar.

She was always put together, hair done, nails done, makeup beautiful. In fact, only Eloise could put on her signature orangey-red lipstick while on a choppy boat in the ocean in Hawaii without a mirror and have it perfect!

She was the rock of the family. After Rick’s death, instead of giving up on life, she persevered, knowing her family needed her and she them. She always put her family first. She typically woke before Karl and had breakfast ready for him so that he started the day nourished. Upon his return from work, the house was always clean and dinner was ready. You could say that she was the typical “June Cleaver”!

In closing, I am reminded of a song by Mark Shultz, called “Remember Me”. The first line is:

“Remember Me, in a bible cracked and faded by the years”.

This is Eloise’s bible. It is worn with love and devotion to our Lord and Savior and filled with special clippings and notes from friends. While looking through it, I found several interesting things. She had a hand written note marking the Golden Rule – Matthew 7 Verse 12. The paper is faded and yellow. She also has written with in it the births, deaths and marriages dating back to her parents births and ending with her husband’s death. The most interesting a poem I found clipped from the paper. I am not sure exactly when she clipped it, but I found it very appropriate.

“Dear Lord, I am 80, and there’s much I haven’t done. I hope, dear Lord, you’ll let me live until I’m 81.
But, if I haven’t finished all I want to do, would you let me stay awhile, until I’m 82?
So many places I want to go, so much I want to see – Do you think you could manage to make it 83?
Many things I may have done, but there’s so much left in store, I would like it very much to live to 84!
And if by then, I’m still alive, then, I’d like to stay to 85.
The world is changing very fast, so I’d really like to stick around and see what happens to the world when I’m 86.
I know, dear Lord, it’s a lot to ask, and I know it’ll be nice in Heaven, but, I’d really like to stay around until I’m 87.
I know by then I won’t be fast, and sometimes, I’ll be late, but it would be oh-so pleasant to be around at 88. I will have seen so many things and had a wonderful time. So, I’m sure that I’ll be willing to leave at the age of 89…(well – maybe)."


She only lived until 88, but Thank you Lord, for letting us have her until that time. We were all able to be with her for one last Christmas and ring in the year that would have been her 89th. Now , we all know that she is surrounded by your open arms and grace.

We love you and miss you but we know you are in a better place.
So, Me-maw, may you bloom into an open Magnolia in the garden of Heaven’s gate.

This WW is hosted by Angie at SevEn cLoWn CirCuS

23 comments:

tiarastantrums said...

beautiful - and sorry for your loss

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

what beautiful pictures. lots of hugs and prayers...

Hootin Anni said...

Your memories will never fade. Trust me.

This is one awesome tribute.

Terra said...

Beautiful. Simply wonderful. Thinking about you today.

Allison said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Musings of a Housewife said...

What a beautiful tribute! Grandmas are the best, aren't they?

jen@odbt said...

Allison - that a was beautiful tribute to your Me-Maw. What a gorgeous lady. I know she's smiling with you.

Jen said...

what a lovely tribute. I am so sorry for your loss. I now that she is smiling down at you from heaven for all the beautiful things that your wrote.

Julie said...

What a beautiful tribute & a beautiful woman. My prayers are with you & your family. So sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful memories. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Kathleen W. said...

What a beautiful eulogy. I'm sure you're grandmother would be so proud. Your family is in my thoughts.

Claremont First Ward said...

What a beautiful eulogy for a truly beautiful woman. I'm sorry for your loss. HuGS!

The Wrenns said...

This was absolutely beautiful. I can only hope to have such a fulfilling life.

Lynette said...

How touching and the pictures were beautiful - thanks for sharing that with us!
(((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to your MeMaw. I know you miss her but she will always live on in your memories. Love and prayers go out to you and your family. We love you all.

Live.Love.Eat said...

Oh, I am so sorry you lost your grandma here on earth. I do love the Steel Magnolia reference to her and your eulogy was beautiful!!!!

Adventures in Parenthood said...

she was absolutely beautiful. prayers and good thoughts to you and yours on this difficult day.

Anonymous said...

Sweetie I am so sorry for your loss. So very, deeply sorry.

Your words and sentiments are so beautiful and amazing. Hold all of your memories close.

Your grandmother was a beautiful woman. Absolutely stunning.

*hugs*

Honey Mommy said...

What a beautiful tribute to your grandmother. She is lovely and it sounds like she was a lovely person too.

My condolences.

sassy stephanie said...

Allison,

It is lovely.

Jo Y said...

Absolutely beautiful Allison, your Me-Maw would have been proud. My Grandmother was also born in 1920, I hope when her time comes I can write such a wonderful eulogy!

Lindsay said...

While I couldn't even get through all of your kind words - what I did read was beautiful. What awesome memories you have of you Me-Maw.

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

This is just beautiful. A Wonderful tribute.