November 23, 2008

Big Dreams

"Daddy, when can I be the 'boss' of my own house?"

"Well, probably when you are 21 and all grown up. What kinda house are you going to have?"

"A square one with a triangle on top with square and circle windows. And it will be in California!"

"Wow, California, really, why?"

"Cuz I like California. And it will be on the beach and my cousin Shannon will be my neighbor."

"What are you going to do for a job?"

"I am going to be an artist that paints and I will drive trains, because you know I love trains, and live on a farm to be a farmer."

"What are you going to grow on your farm?"

"Cotton Candy and doodleberrys and a giant hamburger. But I will only have 1 horse, 1 sheep, 1 cow and 1 pig, cuz that's all I want! Oh, and I have a great idea...I will race horses, too, so I can win a shiny medal at the finish line."

"So, you are going to live on a beachfront farm and work as a train driving artist that raises lots of things and also races horses on the side. What is Cate going to be when she grows up?"

"A mailman! And she'll live next to me, too, but in a girly house. She will also make computers, china, and chopsticks."

"Are you going to go to college?"

"Yep, just like Steve on Blue's Clues, but in California since that is where I will live."

That was pretty much our dinner conversation last night. Matt and I really got a kick out of listening to him dream such big dreams. We have always told him that he can be anything he wants when he grows up as long as he is happy. By gosh, we will love him just as much, if not more, if he is a artistic train driving farmer in California.

Oh, and as we were going up to bed, he said to us, "These were great happy questions, thanks for asking me, Dad."

Definitely a "Slice of Heaven" kind of night!

15 comments:

jen@odbt said...

Love this! Kids are great - what a nice slice of heaven. I like that Cate is making chopsticks. Funny what kids are thinking about.

Jennifer said...

Oh that's so cute!! I love talking to the kids about what they want to be when they're grown up!

a Knitting Junkie! said...

Oh how sweet! I was especially touched by your little man thanking his daddy for asking great happy question! Absolutely priceless!
Hugs...Anita

Diane said...

Adorable! Little man - big dreams! It's so refreshing to see he has it all figured out! :)

Anonymous said...

Does your son watch "Wow Wow Wubbzy"? I ask because of the doodleberries! Today my daughter was pretending to make doodleberry jam and I'm pretty sure it was a Wubbzy thing, lol.

Leslee P said...

email me your address.... lesleephillips@mail.com and I will whip one up for ya.... Happy Thanksgiving

Unknown said...

That conversation does sound like a slice of heaven. What big dreams he has.

The Happy Mom said...

So cute! Kids say the cutest things (I just have to remind myself to write them down so I don't forget).

I found your blog and had to post because I am a fellow Disney-obsessed blogger! I love all things Disney and am always planning our next trip! :)

rmaguire19 said...

Too cute! I love to hear all about what kids want to be as grown ups...always so exciting :)

And what's even funnier is that Shannon really is OBSESSED with all things California.

According to her: all the cool stuff happens there, you have to go by airplane, and they have Disneyland. What more can a kid want?

So, it would not surprise me at all to find that someday she and Max live side by side, beachfront in Cali :)

Anonymous said...

Great conversation that Max and Matt had. California, hmmmm .... Stanford or USC for school and then find a job on the West Coast. Sounds great.

Dreams can come true.

Shannon and Cate are in his plans. Very touching.

Fatherhood has its little rewards.

Frizzy said...

You have got to print this off and give it to her on her graduation day. Too fun! Thank you so much for sharing on my SITS day. I enjoyed your comments so much. I love your blog title and sense of humor. I think we might have a lot in common!

Nette said...

Oh my goodness. Love that! Too precious!

Honey Mommy said...

What a sweet boy! I love the dreams that kids come up with. What a life that would be!

Anonymous said...

That is a wonderful conversation. I hope he never ever loses the thread of all the things he wants to do and be and accomplish, because you know, where there's a will, there's a way!

Thanks for sharing that with us!

Anonymous said...

Aw. Very cute.

Big dreams are the very best kind.