November 23, 2008

Early Bird Gets the Worm

...or just baggy eyes!

Ever since Max was very little (6 months or so), he has been an early riser! Now, at 6 months it is understandable but at almost 5 years old...5:30am...not so acceptable! Let me explain how this got started. When Max was 6 months old, we moved to NJ after Matt finished grad school. Since we wanted to find the perfect home and not feel rushed just to have somewhere to live, Matt's parents graciously offered us the opportunity to live with them while we looked and saved. Now, don't get me wrong, we loved being able to share Max's daily life with them for almost 3 months. However, because we were in someone else's house with 3 other people who worked and needed their sleep also, we went to Max any time he cried out in the night. Any. Time. He. Cried! So, from that point on, he got in the nasty habit of waking up early. Very early. Once we moved into our new home, it took awhile to get him to sleep a little later. At least it wasn't 4 or 5am.

He also has this thing that the later he goes to sleep, the earlier he seems to get up. If we are ever out late with friends and trying to get going to get him in bed, people will often say, "Well, at least he'll sleep in a little!" Well, not Max. However, going to bed early, going to bed on time, going to bed later, these days, it doesn't seem to matter.

His newest thing is to get up (not sure exactly what time), go in the playroom, turn on the TV and watch his shows. I know, sounds great, but around 5:45-6am, he'll come in and wake me up to say good morning and that he would like some breakfast to eat! I will roll over and tell him that he needs to wait and be patient until the sun comes up and then I will get up. Most of the time, he'll happily go back up, but now I am AWAKE and can't go back to sleep. Then, there is the issue of him playing and giggling loudly. Right. Next. To. Cate's room!

Now Cate, if not awoken by her brother, has been known to sleep until almost 9am!

I know this will be helpful once he starts school as I won't be the mom trying to drag her child out of bed. But right now, I would just love about two or three days of sleep until at least 6:30! At least there is one good thing about it all, Max is a morning person! He does wake up Happy!

Ok, enough rambling. I guess I need to go to church today and thank God for my wonderful, healthy, children, and maybe pray for just a little teensy weensy sleep!

4 comments:

sassy stephanie said...

I have said for years that I want to invent a kids' clock where the numbers light up red or green, according to what you set. "Green numbers, ok to come out of your room." Sigh. I could be a bazillionaire if I would get off of my duff and do it!

Terra said...

I feel your pain. My oldest didn't learn to sleep in until she was 7! My youngest gets up before birds most days - So, the youngest if she goes to bed around 6 she will sleep till 6 (12 hours I KNOW) if she goes to bed at 9 she will sleep till 5. I figure she will grow out of it and do enjoy the quiet evenings with our oldest!

Jenny said...

We've gone through the same thing with each child. It was guaranteed that one would wake up early while the other 2 slept in. Now my 7 year old can sleep in (until 9am if we let him) and my 5 y.o sleeps until 6:30...we're working on the 3 y.o.

I think it's funny when others say "at least he'll sleep in" - that never was true in my house.

Honey Mommy said...

I know exactly how you feel! I have two boys who are inclined to wake up between six and seven a.m.

My internal clock is set to sometime after 8 a.m. Ugh!