Well, I couldn't really think of anything to post about. Other than illness playing musical chairs on this family, not too much has been going on! So, I thought I would share a funny story from the past!
When we moved back to Texas from New Jersey, Max was 3 years old and Cate was 8 weeks. Shortly afterwards, we headed to the post office to mail some things.
As we exited the car, I did my usual speech to Max about behaving and not running around...yada, yada, yada! He agreed.
Upon entering the building, I noticed the line was very long. Had I not really needed to get this item out that day (now I can't even remember what it was), I would have turned right around and left. But the urgency of this mailing matter required us to stay.
Cate slept peacefully in her carrier as we inched slowly up the line. Max was staying very close to me and asking me all kinds of questions. (Backstory...shortly before Cate was born, Max was doing speech therapy for a severe delay) So, anytime that boy asked questions, I listened attentively, as I had waited so long to hear anything come out of his mouth.
Well, maybe not ANYTHING!
At one point, he began to look right at the zipper on my jeans. It was almost as if, in a split second, I anticipated the horrific situation that was about to unfold.
Max: (in a not-so-inside voice) Mommy, let me see your penis!!!
Me: (leaning to his level, avoiding eye contact with anyone but Max and speaking quietly through gritted teeth) I don't have a penis!
At this moment, I should have known not to say that, but it was too late, when the look of shock came over him and he yelled even louder...
Max: You DON'T HAVE a penis?
As I turned eight thousand shades of red and was again trying to avoid eye contact with anyone, I quickly tried to change the subject handing him some cool change of address brochures. Luckily, he dropped it.
However, the new problem at hand was the decision to stick around in the line we had just spent over 20 minutes in, surrounded by people who were making God-knows-what assumptions about me AND what we were teaching our son...or booking it out of there!
Seeing as how we had already stuck it out that long and were almost to the front of the line, we hung around. Plus, I was hoping for my dignity's sake that most of those around us would realize he was just a curious little 3 year old. In fact, after that initial embarrassment, I was actually internally giggling and imagining what a great story this would be to tell his future bride! I also imagined all the people leaving the post office and immediately getting on their phones and calling their friends to tell them what they just heard at the post office. I am sure we made several peoples' boring, monotonous trip to the post office a memorable one!
Ahhh, out of the mouths of babes...and I am positive this isn't the last I'll hear OR be embarrassed by them!
When we moved back to Texas from New Jersey, Max was 3 years old and Cate was 8 weeks. Shortly afterwards, we headed to the post office to mail some things.
As we exited the car, I did my usual speech to Max about behaving and not running around...yada, yada, yada! He agreed.
Upon entering the building, I noticed the line was very long. Had I not really needed to get this item out that day (now I can't even remember what it was), I would have turned right around and left. But the urgency of this mailing matter required us to stay.
Cate slept peacefully in her carrier as we inched slowly up the line. Max was staying very close to me and asking me all kinds of questions. (Backstory...shortly before Cate was born, Max was doing speech therapy for a severe delay) So, anytime that boy asked questions, I listened attentively, as I had waited so long to hear anything come out of his mouth.
Well, maybe not ANYTHING!
At one point, he began to look right at the zipper on my jeans. It was almost as if, in a split second, I anticipated the horrific situation that was about to unfold.
Max: (in a not-so-inside voice) Mommy, let me see your penis!!!
Me: (leaning to his level, avoiding eye contact with anyone but Max and speaking quietly through gritted teeth) I don't have a penis!
At this moment, I should have known not to say that, but it was too late, when the look of shock came over him and he yelled even louder...
Max: You DON'T HAVE a penis?
As I turned eight thousand shades of red and was again trying to avoid eye contact with anyone, I quickly tried to change the subject handing him some cool change of address brochures. Luckily, he dropped it.
However, the new problem at hand was the decision to stick around in the line we had just spent over 20 minutes in, surrounded by people who were making God-knows-what assumptions about me AND what we were teaching our son...or booking it out of there!
Seeing as how we had already stuck it out that long and were almost to the front of the line, we hung around. Plus, I was hoping for my dignity's sake that most of those around us would realize he was just a curious little 3 year old. In fact, after that initial embarrassment, I was actually internally giggling and imagining what a great story this would be to tell his future bride! I also imagined all the people leaving the post office and immediately getting on their phones and calling their friends to tell them what they just heard at the post office. I am sure we made several peoples' boring, monotonous trip to the post office a memorable one!
Ahhh, out of the mouths of babes...and I am positive this isn't the last I'll hear OR be embarrassed by them!














12 comments:
That is just too stinkin' funny!!! Thanks for a great start to my day.
That is a great story to share with him and his future bride. Oh the embarrassment but I guarantee you that at least half of those people chuckled and you & Max gave them something to smile about that morning.
That is sooo funny! I was laughing out loud to Elizabeth's curious look. ~ Kimberly
oh poor mommy! But super fun for us to read.
So funny and as you say it's a story to remember LOL
That's just awesome!
Thanks for visiting my site the other day when I was featured on SITS!
OH my goodness!! I am so glad you shared your story. I was cringing and laughing all at the same time!
HILARIOUS!! what a delightfully funny story! seriously i am laughing out loud!
just grabbed your code for my side bar...YAY!
i forgot to check do you have mine!? if not,grab it, its adorable and would super cute on your blog.
AH!!! I don't know what I would have done LOL!
Steph
ROFL that is a classic moment
This is SO awesome!! I laughed out loud!
I must say though - that is a really great way to look at it when your kid totally embarrasses you - I'm going to have to remember that!! Remember how much they are going to have fun being able to tell their story about us.
LOL--Yeah, I'm sure the people in line enjoyed the entertainment! Too funny!
I hope everyone is starting to feel better!
Post a Comment