Each year, we have taken the kid(s) to see Santa. Well, all except Max's first Christmas. He was just shy of 3 weeks old that Christmas, so the last place I was going to take a 5lb little newborn was a crowded mall full of germs! And each year, I come home and scan the picture to email out to our friends and family with a little back story. I have copied those emailed stories for added effect.
So, Max just turned a year old and this weekend, so, we took him to have his first year pictures made and that went beautifully...such a cutie. Then, we quickly changed him into his little snowman overalls given to him by my aunt and took him over to the local mall Santa and as you can see...clearly NOT A FAN! (emailed 12/09/04)

Well, we went back to Santa this year, hoping it would go better than last
year! We have been reading Santa Claus books and everytime we see a picture
of him, we say, "look at Santa, ho,ho,ho". He got to the point where he was
pointing to pictures on his own and smiling.....so, we got to the mall and
he was "out, feeding the reindeer" and would be back in about 30 minutes, so
Matt stood in line (1st in line) while I occupied Max so he wouldn't get
bored and irritated. Then, about five minutes to go, we mosied our way back
to the line and sat him in his stroller and occupied him with a graham
cracker. Then, as Santa approached, he smiled and pointed, and we thought
it was going to turn out great. However, as Santa sat down and I picked Max
up from his stroller, he immediately freaked out and well.....you can see
for yourself....(notice the graham cracker still left in his mouth, hehe) (emailed 12/02/05)

Well, after 2 years of being absolutely terrified of the big man in the red suit, we have been "conditioning" Max for Santa this year. We began talking about Santa back in October. We have been reading Santa books hoping this year he would be excited to meet him. He has seen his pictures from the last two years and now says, "Max sad, cry on Santa's lap!" So, this year, we asked him if he wants to go see Santa and he said, "YES, HAPPY, NOOOO CRY!"
With that said, after lunch today, we headed out to the mall. He was beaming from ear to ear all the way. We got to the mall and he practically dragged me in as he ran (which I might add is getting more difficult with my belly growth of late…8 mos preggers). We got to the spot and he saw HIM....and he slowly backed away and said he needed to go to the "fountain", so we headed around the corner to the mall fountain and he threw a penny in and the yelled out, "Ready" and we headed back (I guess he needed to make a wish to be protected, I'll never know?). Anyway, we got back and he walked up to Santa very slowly and cautiously and said very timidly, "Hi, I like Thomas". Santa gently picked him up and set him on his lap. He conversed with him a bit and then, slowly turned toward the camera and this is what we got... (emailed 12/08/06)

Well, it is that time of year again...going to visit the jolly man in the red suit. As most of you know from my previous Christmas emails, Max was not originally a fan of Santa. Last year, Max finally sat on his lap willingly, but still didn't say anything to him. This year is Cate's first Christmas and I have been looking forward to see how she will react. Max is more aware of the whole idea of Santa...the letter he is to mail to the North Pole, sitting on his lap, leaving out milk and cookies!!! He is sooooo ready for it.
This year we went to a mall here in Dallas. Now, it isn't the closest mall to us, but they have a Santa area that is not in the middle of the loud mall. It is free and you can take your own pictures. They offer photos for sale that are taken by someone, but you are not obligated to buy. Santa also has a storytime. So, I dressed up the kids in their matching outfits featuring reindeers. I know...I am sooo cheesy! Anyway, we got there a little early with a friend and her daughter to get a good spot on the floor for the kids to listen to Santa. Just before it was storytime, we heard thumping and sleigh bells, then a big red velvet bag popped out of the fireplace, then a loud HO,HO,HO!!!! Santa appeared in the fireplace and the kids cheered. I kid you not, I got chills. He took off his jacket and appeared before the kids in his work vest and shirt and began to tell tales from the North Pole. The first one just happened to be about a train. Max was mesmerized...mouth gaping open, his eyes didn't come off of Santa. He also had the best seat in the place. He was right in front of him. After two tales, he talked to the kids about what to do on Christmas Eve like....if you hear sleigh bells, don't come out of your room and go back to sleep, and that Chocolate Chip cookies are his favorite. After he was done, he began seeing all the children one on one. We waited about 15-20 minutes, but both kids were so well behaved and once it was our turn, Max walked right up to him and got on his lap. I placed Cate on his lap and she started to cry, but he quickly entertained her with a small toy pen he had. We took a couple of pics and I took Cate off his lap. Then, he patiently listed with noticeable interest to Max's wish list. Max gazed at him while he talked. Then Santa gave each kid a gift bag and Max thanked him as we left. It was soooo worth it. It was a far cry from the 'Mall Santa' who is more there to turn a profit by how many pics they can take in an hour. We weren't rushed and I feel that he sincerely listened to Max's wish! It was priceless. It was a memory I will cherish forever. (emailed 11/29/07)

I hope this finds all of you in the holiday spirit and cheer. As in years past I have sent a story about our trek to see the big guy in the red suit. As many of you may recall...
2004 - Max...NOT a fan!
2005 - Max...still NOT a fan (infamous graham cracker scene)
2006 - Max...not a fan at first glance, but remember, as soon as he threw the coin in the fountain, he took a deep breath and exclaimed he was ready!
2007 - Max and Cate - Max loved the storytime and was so excited to tell Santa all about his wish for a Polar Express train set, Cate...a tad apprehensive
Fast forward to today...at our local mall (Shops at Willowbend), their Santa area this year is set up like the Polar Express. So, duh, with Max in our family, how could we not go there! You pass through and around several GIANT snow globes, all depicting scenes from the movie. One of them you press the button and the trains whistle blows. Another you go in and it looks like the engine car and you can actually pull the brake and it steams and screeches and you can pull another one to sound the whistle again. The final snow globe is the final scene when they arrive at the North Pole and it actually SNOWS on you. Then you exit the globe to find Santa at his chair. Max was in HEAVEN! Cate on the other hand....visions of Christmas pasts....NOT A FAN! But, Max sat and told Santa about his wishes (tanker truck and a new Thomas movie, he threw the latter one in and surprised Mommy, if you know what I mean). Then, he pointed to Cate and said she wanted a doll. Cate recovered and we headed to the last scene where you can pose like you're on the train! (emailed 12/11/08)


So, there it is Christmas Pasts and Present. It seems to be a pattern that by the third time with Santa, my kids get comfortable. So, hopefully, the Christmas Future holds a great smiling picture with both kids! I hope you have enjoyed yet another trip down memory lane! I sure had fun looking back.














9 comments:
Oh those are precious! I always thought it would be a waste of time taking a screaming child to sit on Santa's lap - but it's SO fun to see the progression on the kids year by year - screaming or not. Maybe I'll still get out to do that this year...maybe not... :-)
This is classic! Love the pictures - all of them, even the crying ones. People laughed when I snapped p[ictures of crying babies with Santa or the Easter Bunny, but with or without tears, I wanted to capture those memories! (And the crying pictures really are funny to look back on!)
Oh my gosh, those are hilarious! Now THOSE would make some great hilarious scrapbooking pages! ;o)By the way, would love to see some of the pages you have done on your blog. (And thanks for visiting mine!)
Those ARE great! I think it's a given that the first Santa pictures have a crying child. At least you didn't have to sit in the picture to get one taken...like mine have been for the past 6 years. I'm going to have to dig mine out and do the same memory walk.
PS: We go to our Breakfast with Santa in the morning. Can't wait to see what happens!
Hey Allison! Those are great!!!
Thanks for sharing!
If anyone has a kid that never cried on Santa's lap I would think ther was something wrong with that kid! That big hairy man is intimidating when your only 1 foot tall!
They really are great memories - crying or not and the last one of your son is priceless - that grin is great!!
Have a good one ~
I hated sitting on Santa's lap as a child so I vowed not to make my kids do it and I only caved once, a couple of years ago. Everything went smoothly so maybe I'll see if I they want to visit Santa again:)
My goodness, your little collection looks like mine. Half the time I end up in the picture because the girls won't sit with Santa unless I'm sitting right there. Crossing my fingers for this year - we'll see!
Post a Comment