March 12, 2009

Literacy Thursday - Fancy Nancy

Fancy Nancy
by Jane O'Connor
Illustrated by Robin Preiss Glasser

I have to admit I became of fan of these books way before Cate could even show interest. After having a boy and reading about trains and trucks and all things boy, I was so excited to build a library of girly books for our new daughter! A friend told me about this book and I went right out and got it. I read it to myself and fell in love with Nancy. Now, several years later, I have enjoyed sharing the stories with Cate. She loves to dress up just like Nancy does! In fact, for Christmas, Cate received a Fancy Nancy doll and dress up clothes from Santa Claus.

Two nights ago was her first night in her big girl bed and she chose this book out of her book bin and I was so excited that she chose this one for bedtime. It was also especially neat because for the first time, she actually sat still and listened to every page instead of grabbing the book out of my hands and turning the pages too soon.


These books have fun, girly, fancy language that is just too cute. So, far we have the whole collection. There are a few that will be published later this year! If you have girly girls, these are a must have in my opinion!

Thanks to Jennifer for hosting! For more book suggestions, click the button below!




I am also in the photo, which is rare...click below to join in on the fun of the year-long campaign to find Mom in photos.
Forever In Blue Jeans

15 comments:

jen@odbt said...

Big fan of Fancy Nancy too - have you seen all the stuff at Target? I'm glad you're joining the Where's Mom challenge. I don't like being in front of the camera but I don't want to kids to be asking where I was during their childhood. Great capture of her first night in her big girl bed.

Darcie said...

Glad you joined the challenge! Looks like your little girl is growing up, but now you have that memory captured for a lifetime. Fun first photo.

Carin said...

What wonderful pictures of you reading to your little girl. Precious memories for a lifetime. Her new room/bed is so cute. So glad you joined the challenge!

Anonymous said...

What lovely photos! They tugged on my gramma heart strings. You are really going to value these challenge photos in years to come. I'm already looking forward to seeing your post next week.
m-b

Terra said...

Ok, I am not a fan...but that is ok...because I love ANY BOOK that kids like to read just so long as they are reading!!!!

Unknown said...

My niece just loves Fancy Nancy and even had her b-day party so themed! Maybe one day I'll get to read these books to a little girl of my own.

The J's said...

Very special! I love those books too!

Lori said...

What a great room! They grow up so fast...
Nice qty. time spend with your kids.

Anonymous said...

We love Fancy Nancy at our house!! These are great pictures!!

More Than Words said...

Oh how cute! Love the pictures and your daughters room!! So pretty!

Andrea said...

We have the Fancy Nancy's Favorite Fancy words which my 3 yr old really enjoys. Love that you captured the memory of bedtime stories, its a great tradition to have.

Shasta said...

Great photos of you reading to them, they both look so interested!

Heather - Hopelessly Flawed said...

I have 3 daughters and I've never read Fancy Nancy - can you believe that???

I love the campaign to ind Mom in photos. SO TRUE!

Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane said...

So sweet...Those are photos that your daughter is going to cherish someday because you are in them.

Chris said...

nice photos :) im sure this definitely a mommy moment! :) i have a mommy momemnt meme every Friday, you might like to join us at http://www.mommyjourney.com/

by the way, our kids are the same age.. 5 and 2 :D

nice meeting you online!