For this week's installment of What I Learned This Week, hosted by Jo-Lynne at Musings of a Housewife, I decided to share what I "re-learned" this week in my hometown. I have a love/hate relationship with some aspects of my childhood region.I HATE the smell of manure (Hereford, TX is the Beef Capital of the World, and is completely surrounded by feedlots of cattle).
I LOVE the quiet, peaceful nights.
I HATE the drive there.
I LOVE the sunsets and open skies full of stars.
I HATE the dust everywhere, all the time!
I LOVE the small town friendliness from EVERYONE, even from strangers (which in a small town, there aren't very many of those).
I LOVE seeing how much things have changed since I left after high school.
I HATE seeing how much things have changed since I left after high school.
One thing I learned on this trip with my kids is there really is more to do in this small town than I had remembered.














13 comments:
Going home must be a new adventure everytime! I have love hate relationship with my home town, oh and I live in it still.
I guess you have to take the bad with the good...sigh.
Sounds like you guys had a lovely visit!
It's nice to have a home town to go back to. My parents moved away from the area so my kids will never know my childhood home or town. Glad you had a great visit.
I've never lived in a small town, but I've always longed for that small town feeling and friendliness. I have to say that it might even be worth putting up with the smell...
The view from your parent's backyard looks glorious! My boys would run and run and run. =)
I have that same love/hate relationship with my hometown...where we live now. Sometimes it's a hard pill to swallow.
That looks gorgeous to me!!
I enjoy going home but I wouldn't want to live there again. :-)
I loved your list of love/hates about your home town.
My family don't live where I grew up anymore, but as N Ireland is so small, it is still not too far away!
Isn't it the strangest sensation to go back to the town where you grew up and find so much has changed? I had a similar experience in January, though my hometown is in CA, not TX. No stinky cows, but plenty of weirdos!
going home is always fun...
Even though I don't live near any feedlots, I've driven through that part of Texas and you're right--it doesn't smell so good. But being home again must be worth it!
I have a love/hate relationship with my own small hometown...completely understand that!
Visiting you from SITS--have a great day!
Wow I bet it's relaxing! You can just sit outside in peace and let your mom handle the kids for the night :)
My husband came from a small town too and it's so nice and refreshing meet so many NICE people!
Post a Comment