
Yep, I am a country bumkin that grew up longing to live in a big city. I do, but I still love to go back home and visit. I grew up in a wonderful tiny Texas town. Our county is about the size of Rhode Island and only has one (maybe two towns in it). So, it is the county seat! Here are some pictures of our day exploring the town sites and little museum. My mom is on the museum board, so she had some interesting facts about the exhibits. All in all the tour around town took about an hour and a half.

The Museum building used to be the original St. Anthony's School.

Erastus "Deaf" Smith, who our county is named after.

The chapel area with pieces from local churches.

Pieces from an old office building.

My dad and Max in front of the "Old West" kitchen.

The kids walking into the "General Store" area.


Cate playing the piano in the parlor area.

Cate and I in front of the old "school room".

The generational bridal gown displays.

Behind the museum is this old windmill.

I thought this was a really neat sign about Ghost Towns.

Max on an original John Deere tractor.

Sign about how Hereford came to be in existence due to the Santa Fe Railroad.


Dad and I inside the old caboose.

Cate and my mom in the same area.


Cate walking into an old fashioned jail cell.

The little prisoners.

The kids first glimpse at an old "outhouse".

The horse drawn "ice carriage" for Hereford.

The Deaf Smith County courthouse (one of the only all-marble courthouses in TX and built in the Texas Renaissance).

E.B. Black House


Gazebo out back surrounded by memorial gardens.

Texas Bluebonnets
The rest of our time in Hereford, we just spent with them hanging out at their house.


9 comments:
What a great trip! I love seeing all the historical photos. The old John Deere tractor is great!!
Great pictures. Looks like you had a great time!!
There is somethign to be said for living where you come from
the simple life would do me some good.
Wow--that brings back so many memories. And I saw a few new things in your pics that I don't remember seeing growing up. I'm ready to come back & visit!
I love these TX posts!
Both my kids are Texans, so I feel a bit like a Texan at heart.
I miss the Bluebonnets. My friend have recently been sending me there Blue BOnnet pictures and I LOVE them!
Looks like you had lots of fun and the kids learnt something too!
What great pics! It looks like everyone enjoyed it. The dugout looks really cool!
That's pretty cool to have so much history in your home town. Lots of fun places to visit too. Love the pic of Cate peeking out of the bin.
I love seeing pictures of you; you always look *so* genuinely happy.
I come from a small town too Allison so we can be sisters in that country bumpkin kind of way!
Post a Comment